Today is my husband's birthday. And, since this seems like as good a day as any, I'd like to take a moment and celebrate a few of the reasons I'm glad to have him in my life.
- I wish I could remember a ton of really specific and cute anecdotes from our dating days, but strangely, my brain doesn't work like that. Not Jason. He's the one who would be able to tell me some awesome thing that happened, exactly who said what, and probably what the weather was doing at the time. He sometimes forgets where he put his keys, but when it comes to the moments that matter, this man's brain is like a steel trap. Which is why he remembers our anniversary and my birthday, even when I forget.
- One of my favourite things ever is watching Jason spend time with our sons. Our kids get "quality time" with their dad on a near-daily basis. I'm so grateful that he has made that a priority for himself and for them. Whether it's working together or playing together, he does it with all his might, and so do the kids.
- My husband is one of the most selfless people I know. Whether it's getting up early every day to go to work to provide for our family, or getting off the couch to make me a cup of tea so I don't have to, he's always doing things that puts others before himself. I have learned so much from his uncomplaining, loving servant leadership.
- When things go south, he almost always keeps his cool. Things that stress me out don't really get to him. (The inverse is also true.) I so admire his ability to handle all kinds of people and situations and barely get ruffled. I'm such a people-pleaser that I'll fall all over myself (and stress about it non-stop) until a conflict is resolved, no matter the cost. Or rather, I used to. Thanks to him, I've learned a great deal about how to take care of myself and not let other people's angst rule my life. Still, I've got a ways to go. He's my unflappable hero.
- Yesterday, my husband was doing our monthly book-balancing and listening to his playlist. Usually, our musical tastes differ greatly, but there is a bit of overlap. I was surprised when the old Boyz II Men song "I Swear" came up, and as I listened to "for better or worse, 'til death do us part, I'll love you with every beat of my heart", it was like Jason's reminder to me. Because with every opportunity he has, he lets me know that he's in this thing for life. There's nothing better than that.
There isn't a gift in the world that I could give this man that would balance out the gift I have in him every day. I love you for life, honey. I swear.